While the Old City of Chiang Mai is a great place for first-time visitors and remains a firm favorite of the backpacking crowd, if you’re looking for something a little different, head slightly west to Nimmanhaemin.
Also known by the shorthand “Nimman,” this ultra-trendy neighborhood of Chiang Mai was once the hangout of hip university students. While this particular group has moved on to the next it place, the cafes and bars they left behind sowed the seeds for what has become a vibrant and artistic section of town, especially popular with weekenders from Bangkok, digital nomads and other travelers in the know.
Here you’ll find a bustling, walkable neighborhood full of, not just cafes and bars, but stylish fashion boutiques and trendy galleries, as well as some of the best food in town. It’s also here that you’ll find the coolest hotels in Chiang Mai. If you haven’t yet explored this area, then its time to book a trip and stay at one of the coolest hotels in Nimmanhaemin – just click on the hotel names to be taken to where you can book on Agoda.
Hidden down a small street to the south of Nimmanhaemin is Hotel Yayee. Stylish and charming in that casual, effortless kind of way, it’s not surprising that this boutique hotel and restaurant is a side venture of one of Thailand’s most popular actors. Given its ample cool-cred, a stay here is surprisingly affordable and even includes a delicious breakfast. The only problem is that you might never want to leave – in addition to the cozy vibes, you’ll love the rooftop bar and restaurant which serves up delicious cocktails and a creative menu of Northern Thai, Western and fusion dishes. (Come here for drinks even if you’re not staying here!)
- Prices begin at ฿6,300 per night
- Address: 17/4-6 Soi Sai Nam Phueng, T. Suthep, A. Muang, Nimmanhemin, Chiang Mai
- Prices begin at ฿37,000 per night
- Address: 22/2 Nimmanhaemind Soi 9, T. Suthep, A. Muang, Nimmanhemin, Chiang Mai
- Prices begin at ฿3,500 per night
- Address: 10 Nimmanhaemin Soi 9, T. Suthep, A. Muang, Nimmanhemin, Chiang Mai
- Prices begin at ฿12,000 per night
- Address: 10/3 Nimmanhaemin Soi 9, Tambon Suthep, Amphoe Muang, Nimmanhemin, Chiang Mai
- Prices begin at ฿2,500 per night
- Address: Soi Sai Nam Phueng, Nimmanhemin, Chiang Mai
- Prices begin at ฿3,900 per night
- Address: Nimmanhaemin Road, Soi 3, T. Suthep, A. Muang, Nimmanhemin, Chiang Mai
The coolest hotels in Nimmanhaemin manage to be destinations in and of themselves, with their rooftop bars and luxury dining. Steps away from the city’s best lifestyle destinations, Nimmanhaemin is a great place to stay during a trip to Chiang Mai, and you need not look further than this short list to find the most picture-perfect hotels tucked away in this hip ‘hood.
Pin these hotels in Nimmanhaemin for later!
Note: This post contains Agoda affiliate links. You get the best rate and I get a small commission at no extra charge to you – win win!